Season 2, Episode 7
This week our host’s Nikki Akparewa and Karim Assalaam are discussing with Dr. Michael DeBaun.
A man of many titles and accolades; Dr. Michael DeBaun shares with us that at the core of his being, is family and community.
“I’m a grandson, son, husband, father of two, grandfather of one, sibling, and cousin.” “That’s who I am”
- Familial culture to elevate the community as you personally excel
- Research and treatment of Cognitive impairment due to SCD
- Navigating Challenges of racial biases and systemic racism as a physician
- Creating space of inclusion and education for those in Africa and the Diaspora
- Scientific endeavors in sickle cell worldwide
“I’ve had a duo mission, which is to be the best provider and to provide the best service for children and adults with sickle cell disease; and to advance the care of children and adults with sickle cell disease. Not only regionally and nationally, but internationally, in particular back to the continent of Africa.”